The seeds of the Observatory began with the age of artificial satellites in the 1950s.  Three DuPont engineers, Leo Glasser, Daniel D. Friel, and Harcourt Vernon developed an interest in building a scientific observatory in Delaware. The construction of  Mount  Cuba Observatory was made possible by the generous donation of land by Dr. Arthur Valk.  The Observatory is located 14 miles from Newark, near the Hoopes Reservoir.  This image shows the observatory shortly after construction was completed in 1964.  The dome houses the research telescope, a 0.6m Tinsley reflector. 

Mt. Cuba Observatory

1610 Hillside Mill Rd

Wilmington, DE 19807

Office Hours: Mon - Fri 9 am - 1 pm

Please see COVID-19 statement

302-654-6407